Under the British Council initiative ?Connecting Classrooms*? 13 students and eight teachers from Rabba?a Al-Adawya and Baghdad schools of Sana?a visited Wales in the UK to participate in the World Youth Skills Challenge (WYSC) last month.The WYSC was arranged and organized on June 27 by Dinas Ysgol Brân School in Llangollen* which is the partner for Rabba?a Al-Adawiya and Baghdad schools in the Connecting Classrooms project. About 170 students and 35 teaching staff from Bulgaria* the Czech Republic* Estonia* Germany* Hungary* Poland* Romania* Spain* Yemen and of course Wales visited local attractions and took part in a series of competitions.?The aim of this event is to enhance the learning experience for students and help them develop an understanding of the lives and cultures of their peers around the world* as well as providing an opportunity for professional development for the teachers*? said the British Council.During their week in Llangollen* the students competed in numerous competitions and activities like storytelling* music* animation* chess* cookery* math* dancing* design* art and sports. Yemeni students won the first prize in art and cooking* second in animation and storytelling and third in singing. WYSC co-coordinator Amanda Edwards described the event as ?a groundbreaking step in international relations between Wales and Yemen.""Our participation in the international WYSC competition uncovered the misconceptions we had about each other from media*" said Malak Yslam* a student from Rabba?a Al -Adawiya school.?There was a misconception that everything is forbidden for us and it is impossible for us to talk to men*? said Yslam ?We clarified for them that we are free to do so and that surprised them.?In this trip and competition we tried to show how Yemenis are smart* dynamic and hard workers. We also tried to convey some of our traditions and give a good picture of Yemen and the Yemenis*? she added. "I came to know that people all over the world are just the same. We have different cultures and religions* but that is not a problem as long as we respect our differences*" said Tawheeda* an English teacher from Rabba?a Al-Adawiya School. ?I was amazed by so many things such as the perfect organization* good hospitality* respect for the rules and the constant work without boredom or laziness*? commented Ali Haroon from Baghdad school.Alya?a Fahmi* 15* clarified misconceptions of her peers from other countries about the hijab and women in Yemen. She is now more interested in learning other languages.Students and teachers were astonished by the respect for Islamic beliefs and Yemeni traditions as shown by their hosts in Wales. ?At the school there was a room designated for us to pray and they always served halal food*? said Amat Al-Malek Jahaf* the librarian at Rabba?a Al-Adawiya School.?When someone shows respect for me* my religion and my beliefs* it means a lot to me*? she added* ?and that definitely makes me do the same for others.?Shatha Al-Hamadi* 18* liked the discipline the people follow in their life and the school with its practical learning labs and workshops. ?I saw a student designing a chair using a computer* and then took the design to the workshop to make it*? she said. Al-Hamadi recalled the sad moments before leaving Wales and how it made her cry to say goodbye to friends.Ruba Hajeb* 16* had fears about how people will look at students from Yemen and their misconceptions about Muslims. Her fears vanished when she arrived and found people?s respect and happiness to be with Yemenis.Although it was the first time for the students to travel without parents accompanying them* they were closely chaperoned by their schools principals and teachers* the staff of the hosting school Dinas Brân and the British council. The partnerships through Connecting Classrooms bring an international dimension into young people?s lives as they learn about other cultures* challenge stereotypes and work as global citizens. It also offers teachers the opportunity to share in joint curriculum projects* to visit their partner schools and to be involved in collaborative learning....

المزيد...