To be educated is the dream of most young people. Pupils work hard in primary and secondary school in order to be accepted in university and join their desired departments. At university* students study hard* investing their time and effort to improve their educational level. Some college students spend many years of their life at university* educating themselves appropriately to become respectable teachers within their society. After graduation* students who had dreamt of becoming respectable teachers or skillful translators face intensive shock. Like dry clouds* their dreams fade away after completing their university education as they realized the bitter fact that they are jobless* dejected and depressed members within society. Such graduates have been disappointed. They joined college with hope and graduated with despair. As graduates both neglected by government and oppressed by difficult conditions within society* they have become hopeless and desperate for any government job. For this reason* they resort to private schools hoping for a good salary to cover their urgent needs. Yet* the working environment in these schools turns out to be miserable* and the move in the end is equivalent to moving from one hell to another. To begin with* let us look at the teacher's financial status in the private school. Despite the fact that private school asks for more than YR 50*000 in fees from pupils in the first three levels of primary school and more than YR 80*000 from secondary school students* a large number of teachers in private schools receive only YR 15*000 salary a month. A YR 15*000 salary may sound good to teachers with a governmental job who work in the public sector in the afternoon and teach for a few hours in the morning* or those who spend two days teaching in a private school and the rest of the week at a main job in a governmental school. The salary from a job in a private school is regarded as an additional monthly income for such teachers* so they accept the monthly salary of YR 15*000 with an opened heart. But such an amount per month is not fair for the teachers who invest all their time and efforts in teaching at a private school. Jobless teachers imprison themselves at private school* teaching pupils from 7:45 am until 12:30 am. Most of these teachers are competent and well qualified to perform their job faithfully* and such a small sum may be regarded as an insult to those teachers. However* those teachers are forced to be satisfied with YR 15*000 a month* in view of their difficult circumstances. Above all* the administration of private schools exploit the poor teacher until his expiry date* and then throw him away like an empty bottle. They only look out for their own interests* and largely ignore the needs of their teachers - the basic pillar of their school.The following conversation clearly illustrates my point. Faisal* teacher of Islamic Studies in the Al-Resalah private school* was discussing his salary and the terms of his contract with the headmistress. "Teacher Faisal* so that you know* the new teacher's salary is YR13*000. A contract will be signed by both of us according to which you should pay YR 50*000 and bring another teacher in case you leave school before the end of the academic year*" the headmistress instructed. "But madam* that is not fair. The salary of YR 13*000 isn't enough for my personal expenses. Frankly speaking* if after three months I find another job and decide to leave your school* how will I pay the financial penalty [of YR50000]? Let me think about it until tomorrow*" Faisal replied. Faisal consulted his brothers and sister about his problem. His brothers advised him to accept the job* because he was going to marry soon and there was no alternative job. His sister agreed: "Dear brother you should know that most of teachers in private schools receive a mere YR 15*000 a month. A friend of mine teaching in a private school only receives YR 9*000 a month* so thank God for the salary they are offering you." In the end* Faisal was forced to sign the contract.In the conclusion* I want to clarify that I have especially discussed the status of teachers in private schools in Ibb* but that my point doesn?t apply to all private schools in Yemen because I do not have a clear idea about private school policy in other Yemeni cities such as Sana?a* Aden and Taiz. Inshallah* next week I will shed more light on teachers in private schools* supporting my point with statements they have written....

المزيد...