"Here* I feel like I am with my family* I don't feel that I am an orphan* the teachers are so kind*" said Sabreen Al-Qubati* a 16-year-old Yemeni orphan who benefits from the orphan sponsorship project of The Family Development Sector (FDS)* the branch of Charitable Society for Social Welfare for women.Two years from now* when her orphan sponsorship ends as she reaches 18* Al-Qubati says she will miss the teachers and the family atmosphere she has been enjoying for the past four years* not the financial support. At the Al-Ahmar Centre for Qualifying Women* the FDS premises in Sana?a* female orphans and women from poor families learn professional skills together. Every day* groups of women gather in the building?s rooms to learn the Quran* practice sewing on colorful patterned fabrics* develop their computer skills or study the English language. In addition to her school curriculum* Al-Qubati acquired computer skills while at the centre and is now studying the Quran. She wants to study at university and aspires to become a lawyer. Established in 1990 as a non-profit NGO* The FDS was previously a branch of the Charitable Society for Social Welfare (CSSW). Although it continues to be supervised by the CSSW* nowadays it has its own financial and administrational system. The FDS focuses on developing women and girl's abilities and empowers them to improve their situation* as well as that of their families and the communities they live in. It has become a model for Yemeni charities and welfare associations and has gained trust from local and international donors through institutional charitable work.The charitable activities carried out by the FDS have included sponsoring female orphans and supporting poor families by qualifying them to depend on themselves by learning a craft or even starting a small business. The Al-Ahmar Centre for Qualifying Women is a convenient and safe place for women and girls to learn and receive support to help them overcome hardships and be effective members of society. Jamila Al-Suraihi* 18* another orphan* doesn?t worry that her FDS sponsorship will end soon now she has a craft that she can depend on for her livelihood: "I work well on a knitting machine and I can use sewing machine too." With a mother working as a door-to-door sales woman* Al-Suraihi intends to help support her family with knitting when she leaves high school in one year?s time. "Knitting is easy and like it*" she added.Girls at the sector talked about prizes they received from their teachers and the administration to encourage them to study and learn new skills.The orphans receive school bags* health treatment* and monthly allowances in addition to Eid clothes and gifts. They also participate in training courses* cultural and educational activities and trips. "After conducting field research about the family* woman or orphan* we start looking for sponsors to support them" said* Ebtisam Al-Nihmi* head of Family Development Sector.Local sponsors are businessmen* banks* companies* schools* teachers* and sheikhs* but the orphans also benefit from sponsors outside Yemen including international charity associations and individuals from Qatar* the UAE* Kuwait* Saudi Arabia* the U.S.* and the UK* and orphans tend to receive better support than other beneficiaries* according to Al-Nihmi."Sponsors are able to supervise the activities they finance*" Al-Nihmi said* "for example a donor can sponsor an orphan studying English by calling him from time to time to follow his English language development." ?Some wives of sheikhs and prominent people of the community* such as one of the daughters of Sheikh Abdullah Bin Hessian Al-Ahmar* do a great job supporting activities of the sector*? she added. Atika* one of the beneficiaries of the family support program at FDS* expressed how she had no idea about sewing before attending classes at the FDS. "They taught me how to use a sewing machine* take measurements and cut fabric. Now* I am able to work to send my daughters to school and university."Atika advised less fortunate women to improve their lives by learning a skill like sewing to support their families. Ashwaq Hussein is a 17-year-old orphan who dropped out of school to get married. Sponsored by the FDS* she has learned sewing and embroidery* and the FDS has even given her an embroidery machine to use at home.Besides supporting orphans and poor families by providing them with useful skills* the FDS also raises awareness of health related issues* notably family planning. According to Al-Nihmi* mother of three* Islam encourages family planning as the Quran asks mothers to breastfeed their babies for two years.Healthcare is one of the major concerns of the FDS and it provides less fortunate patients with financial and medical support and organizes health awareness programs to educate Yemeni women on topics such as HIV prevention. ?We also hold awareness courses on health issues like family planning and prevention from diseases*? explained Al-Nihmi.FDS also seeks to promote a moderate religious environment in society."We have presented lectures on balanced preaching to female religious guides who work in mosques or teach the Quran*" she said. The FDS runs more than ten educational and training centers for women in Sana'a to focus on illiteracy eradication and teach sewing* knitting* handcrafts* computer skills and accounting.From 1990 until 2007* almost 400 girls have received training in IT skills and accounting through the FDS. The program has helped train 636 women in human development and communication skills* and 174 women have participated in family management courses while 17*715 women learned to sew with the project?s support. 184 women took part in a carpet weaving project and 2*655 women learned handcrafts and embroidery through."Our health services have spread all over Yemen*" said Al-Nihmi* "Our plan is to reach remote rural areas with all our services including training programs for orphans and women."...

المزيد...