During Eid Al-Fitr* the port city of Aden offers a festive atmosphere as millions of tourists flock to the area from all over Yemen and other Arab countries to enjoy its nice weather* the spectacular landscapes of its long beaches and the friendly hospitality of its locals. The number of tourists to Aden during Eid Al-Fitr notably increases every year and* despite complaints of increased prices in accommodation and food during the Eid period* the occasion is marked by a special atmosphere for both visitors and residents of the city. "The occasion of Eid is a source of happiness for me as I get together with all my relatives and friends to exchange good wishes*" said Mohammed Ali* a local in Aden. "What makes me happier during Eid is that the city swarms with tourists who come to spend their vacation." Gharib Mohammed Bassioni* an Egyptian working in Yemen* confirms that he enjoys Eid in Aden although he is alone since his family is in Egypt. "Eid in Aden has a special taste. Although I live far from my family* I feel glad to spend the occasion here in front of the sea* in the city?s amazing resorts and public parks* despite the price hike of accommodation and food." Bassioni pointed out that* although he and his Egyptian friends in Aden spend one day together during Eid* they are also invited by local families to share in their feasts. He declared he was impressed by Yemeni hospitality. Some families in Aden have their own special customs for Eid Al-Fitr. "During the days of Eid* we invite all our relatives to our house and enjoy the city?s nightlife*" said Um Fadi. "We also decorate the house every year to prepare it to welcome our guests*" she added. Less fortunate families do their best to maintain Eid traditions in the face of soaring prices. Nadia Habub said that her husband wasn?t able to provide all the requirements for Eid this year as he is poor* and that this has deprived her family of the celebrations they are used to. "For Eid* I usually make a lot of cakes and sweets for the family and visiting relatives. This year* despite our difficult financial situation* I managed to make some cakes for my children so that they could enjoy the occasion. I could not have my children spend Eid without anything to create happiness for them*? she said. Over 120 hotels in Aden provide accommodation for visitors* but people complain that the hotel owners raise the price of rooms during the Eid period. ?Eid is very nice in Aden* but hotel owners raise the price of rooms from YR 6*000 to YR 8*000*" said Um Ali* a Syrian tourist who spends the Eid vacation in Aden every year. Mohammed Al-Selwi* a Yemeni tourist* mentioned that some people refrain from visiting Aden since hotels are very expensive during the Eid period* further noting that some grocery stores in Aden exploit the occasion to raise food prices. Ali Naji Yahya* head of the Tourism Office in Aden* said that they issued a notice to all hotel owners before the holiday period to inform them not to raise accommodation rates during Eid. "We tell hotel owners not to increase their prices. However* we don?t have complete authority to control them*" said Yahya* noting that 40 percent of hotels take advantage of the Eid holiday to cover the cost of other months in the year when business is slow. The Eid period in Aden has witnessed a notable increase in the number of tourists from Gulf countries* particularly Saudi Arabia* in the last few years. In the past* tourism in Yemen depended mainly on tourists from western countries* but this has started to change since the beginning of the decade. Despite many other tourist destinations in Yemen including the Ibb* Mahwit* and Taiz governorates* these Gulf visitors choose Aden to spend the Eid holiday. Hotel owners in Aden said that many visitors* including tourists from other Arab countries* had made reservations a few days before the first day of Eid. "Almost 80 percent of the hotel's capacity was taken up by bookings in advance*' said Mohamed Ali* a hotel manager in Aden. Abdullah Saleh Al-Husni* from the traffic administration* said that the number of cars in the city of Aden almost doubles during Eid. "On the first day of Eid* over 30*000 cars entered the city and this number increased over the following days*" said Al-Husni....

المزيد...