Internal emigration from villages to cities is a global phenomenon. Especially with the development of long distance transportation and telecommunication that allows people to stay in touch despite the distances. Almigdad Mojalli investigates this phenomenon in a three part series researching why youth travel to the cities* how this has hanged them and what happens to their farms and families back home in the countryside. Despite the numerous success stories of youth emigrating to urban areas* agricultural lands and families are the first victims of this change. Endurance and deprivation often motivate youth to work hard and raise their standard of living while guilt of what they left behind often drives them to crime and eventually prison. Naif Attam is a successful example for the rural youths who emigrated to Sana?a seeking better education and a brighter future. Attam moved to Sana?a twelve years ago after completing basic education. He entered a University* studied computer programming and after graduating at the top of his class* found a good position in a company with a high position. ?I studied and went to Sana?a not because I wanted to get a job in the future or I was suffering from poverty but because I had a desire to learn*? Attam said. He stated that his emigration to Sana?a didn?t affected his land as his father wasn?t too old and he was able to look after their lands* but the emigration affected his family emotionally* prompting him to visit them every two weeks. ?My emigration to Sana?a didn?t distance me from my village at all. I?m always in touch with my family as I call them at least once a day and visit them every month*? he added. Though Naif's family is always eager for his company* they understand his circumstances and can empathize with his desire to move to the city* especially because his absence does not affect the family nor the lands. Fahd Al-Fahd came to Sana'a thirteen years ago to complete his studies. Despite his struggles and financial situation* he completed secondary school with a high grade point average that qualified him to join the faculty of medicine and become a doctor. In spite of the success that Al-Fahd has achieved* he always has the feeling of missing something dear to him. So he seizes all opportunities to visit his family in the village and work in the land* although he is now a medical doctor. "Though I have become a doctor* I never forget my family or my land. I think my absence affected them very much. When I was in the village I could look after my family and land very well* but now when I visit my land I notice that parts of it has deteriorated*" he said. Al-Fahd's father realized that the absence of his son affected the family and their land. According to him* he was the first son* responsible for the family's issues and lands'. But now his little brothers have replaced him* even though they aren't as capable. While there are good examples of youth who proved their abilities to strive and become effective people in their society* many youth have deviated in the urban society and made their families regret their approval to allow them to move to cities. Ahmed Nasser* 26* left his land and family to work and complete his education but when he arrived at the city* he worked in a cafeteria in the afternoon and studied in the school in the morning. In school* Ahmed knew bad students from his class who used to steal Qat from Qat sellers in the fair. That developed into stealing from homes and shops. One night while Ahmed and two of his friends were breaking the lock of a shop* they were surprised to be caught by the owner of the shop who was sleeping. That night* the owner of the shop and some of the neighbors beat Ahmed and his friends and led them to the police station. Ahmed and his friends were sentenced to one year in prison. After a year Ahmed got out of prison* stayed with his friends and forgot school completely. Wanting to avoid the disappointment of his villagers back home* Ahmed decided not to go home any more. Ahmed's father tries to forget the son who brought shame upon the family* and his mother is very miserable. "My son brought me shame instead of pride. I didn't want to send him to the city because we have no relatives there to look after him and I was always worried about him* but his mother urged me to let him go and now he won't return*" Ahmed's father said with a very sad voice. "I'm not sad for him as much as I'm sad for his mother who is always crying for her son and work in the farm with his sisters instead of him*" he added. Jameel Al-Nassari is another example of the deviated youth. Jameel told his father that he would move to Sana'a to merchandise in raisins and took around half million Yemeni Riyals. When he arrived at the city* he opened a shop and worked well in the beginning but he tried to appear before his friends and villagers as a millionaire. He used to spend much more than he could afford. After six months* he started borrowing large amounts of money from merchants and farmers without paying them back. After two years* Jameel was taken to court and sent to prison to spend two years before being bailed out by his father for more than YR 12 million. The cost of the Ali's emigration wasn't merely the money or the financial problems* but that his land went to waste. Ali used to grow grapes* corn* almonds and wheat. But his father's old age and his absence changed the agriculturally thriving land to a waste land. Not only that* in order to pay back the money that Ali borrowed* his father sold large areas of their land. In spite of the wonderful achievements of some youth of rural areas* the emigration from rural areas to urban areas is considered a big loss for families and agriculture....

المزيد...